Monday, July 30, 2012

Y-E-S to V-B-S!!!

Kids are incredible. I was reminded just how incredible the week of our Vacation Bible School. Now that I've had some time to recover, I'm ready to share. It was an exhausting but extremely rewarding week. From what I can tell, the consensus was that it was a success. I felt so much love and support from all the gracious volunteers that dedicated their week to teaching our kids about God's AMAZING power.

One of the reasons I enjoy my job so much is because it teaches me new things about myself with each new experience or task which I am delegated. During VBS I learned three important things: 

1. I am most certainly a bit crazy.
2. This allows me to talk to kids in a way that gives them the impression that I'm awesome.
3. When they are fooled into thinking I'm awesome, it's easier to get them to listen while I teach them about God's LOVE.

First of all, VBS is not as easy as my mentor, Pam, has always made it seem. I never realized how much preparation and coordination goes into planning a Bible school. Thank goodness I had a wonderful team of experienced VBS ladies to help guide this rookie along. Still, the stress built up and I was an emotional wreck after the first day. There was really for no reason for my emotional outburst other than exhaustion, paranoia, and a bit of unrelated drama. The day had gone well. I guess the thought of doing it four more times just seemed a little daunting.

As nervous as I was to be the "go to" person, somewhere along the line it became no longer a burden  but a blessing. By the end of the week the stress was completely gone and I was flying down a water slide yelling, "For VBS!!!!!" Seriously, there was an actual water slide. As cheesy as it sounds, I had the time of my life (cue Dirty Dancing theme song).

I'll admit I was nervous on the following Sunday. It was time to show the rest of our church family what we learned at VBS. Never in my life have I seen such a turnout on a VBS Sunday. So many kids showed up to sing their little hearts out. It was terrific. As I led the congregation through our daily lessons the kids were right there with me engaged and shining as we read our verses and talked about God's POWER! A little guy, Malachi, said it best as the kids exited the stage after their final song, "I DID GREAT!" He did do great; they all did. That little voice is something I'll hold in my heart for a long time. When I see big smiles or get running start hugs from the kids at church it makes my day brighter and everything seems that much more worth it!

Sometimes it feels like all I do is worry or anticipate. Looking back now, I feel silly for stressing. God answered my prayers and blessed me greatly in so many ways during a single week. I guess it's just another reminder that I'd be nothing without his direction and presence in my life. 

This week is Youth Week at church. Stay tuned for related post! 
-KP




No comments:

Post a Comment