Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Lock-in for the History Books

It happened, what I've been expecting/dreading this winter season. I had to make a call: the "should we go or should we stay" call about Winter Jam. For those of you that don't know, Winter Jam is a big concert tour that has several popular Christian artists. My youth group was really looking forward to attending. Due to a weather advisory for our county, I finally made the call we should not trek over to Louisville for the show. Not to disappoint too much, I decided we could still have a lock-in at church. Better safe than sorry.

As I scrambled to put together some activities for the lock-in, something terrible occurred. I destroyed my beloved Macbook. Let's just say, I was literally crying over spilt milk. Not only was I devastated, I was super angry and didn't exactly feel like going and spending my evening trying to entertain a bunch of teenagers. Little did I know, that they would be the ones to entertain me and turn my mood around, fast!

This was the best lock-in I've ever been in charge of. The youth did not get me a hard time when it WASN'T snowing and we realized we probably could have made the concert after all. They participated in all the activities I planned for them and got along with each other suspiciously well. There was almost one hiccup when an argument began about the rules of "Noodle Purple Ball". I quickly fixed that by starting a chant, "Positive Patsies". One of my techniques as a youth leader is to call anyone who is being a real bummer, a "Negative Nancy". It sounds mean and ridiculous but it always works to turn an attitude around. Speaking of Noodle Purple Ball, did I mention I love being the youth leader? It has so many perks, like getting to be a neutral pitcher the entire game. Being the pitcher totally RULES.

There were lots of Just Dance routines, Murder in the Dark games, Romans & Christians tourneys, and laughter. We ended the night falling asleep watching Captain America. Man, I still really need to see the ending of that movie. The next morning we woke up and went to worship in our pajamas. I am thankful for a job where I can where my nicest Walmart pj's from 9th grade to church and no one looks at me funny. Okay, they still look at me funny but then sigh and say things like, "That's KP, our crazy youth leader."

I realized when I go home Sunday afternoon I had completely forgotten about my computer. Yes, it is still unresponsive. Yes, I am probably going to have to save some major bucks for a new one. But I realize now, it's not the end of the world.

God and I had a conversation before the lock-in. He knew I was upset about my day and I wasn't completely up for it. So throughout the night, he continually showed me that I'm blessed. I am so thankful.

-KP
Here's a little video of something we discovered about 1:00 AM that night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E0hllDNGtM

No comments:

Post a Comment